Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Top 50 Non-GangStarr DJ Premier-produced Songs of All-Time Part 5 (#10-1): The Thrilling Conclusion

Peace and blessings to everyone out there.  I hope all ya'll had a good Christmas and I wish everyone nothing but the best heading into the new year.  We've finally reached the dramatic conclusion (haha) of my five-part series detailing My Top 50 Non-GangStarr DJ Premier-produced songs of all-time as we are down to the top 10.  Needless to say, these songs will probably be more recognizable to most hip-hop fans than some of the ones I posted earlier in the list but I'll still give you my reasons for placing them so high.  Without further ado, here's the Top 10:

10) NAS-"NAS IS LIKE"
Album: I Am (1999)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC4ORS5n9Hg&ob=av2e


I discussed in my last post how I Am was generally a disappointment beat-wise overall but ironically it features two songs on the top 20 in this list. Premier beats have always seemed to bring the best out of Nas and this song is no exception.  "Nas Is Like" is generally regarded as one of Premier's best beats and I certainly won't disagree.  The beat is made out of harp and string sounds from the first five seconds of "What Child Is This?" by John V. Rydgren & Robert Way, which really isn't even a song it's more like some kind of church recording.  Regardless, Premier chops it into an absolute classic, complete with a sick bass line, ridiculous drums and his signature scratched chorus.  Nas does his damn thing on this one too, dropping jewel after jewel and flowing with renewed vigor.  Classic in every sense of the word.

9) NOTORIOUS B.I.G.-"UNBELIEVABLE" 
Album: Ready To Die (1994)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YodzjpvrtJQ

"Unbelievable" is another one of those songs, like many others on this list, that you just can't deny.  Throw it on at a party and even today, it's bound to turn that party out.  A street banger but at the same time a song you can dance to: a definite hip-hop classic.  Premier's beat thumps courtesy of a chopped-up keyboard sample (I mean really chopped-up, you listen to the original and it's hard to tell that he even used it) from Patrice Rushen's "Remind Me" over the ever-popular (but always banging) drums from The Honeydripper's "Impeach The President."  Biggie flows with his usual gangster brovado and lyrical stylings, sounding great over the beat, and the R. Kelly scratch in the hook provides the finishing touch.

8) JAY-Z-"D' EVILS"
Album: Reasonable Doubt (1996)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnyBp4FzzI

Before Jay-Z was a multi-billion dollar business mogul/rapper, he dropped what I still consider to be his finest work by far, his debut album Reasonable Doubt way back in 1996.  It was also the first time Jay-Z and DJ Premier worked together, as he produced three songs on the album, the best of which was "D' Evils."  Jay spins a story of a friendship gone wrong through corruption and deception over a downright eerie beat from Primo based out of a sick piano riff from Allen Toussaint's "Go Back Home."  I've always been a sucker for pianos in beats and this is one of my favorite piano melodies of all-time.  The scratches in the hook, from Snoop's "Murder Was The Case" and Prodigy on LL's "I Shot Ya" are the perfect fit for a track that's so...well, evil.  In a good way, of course.

7) KRS-ONE-"RAPPAZ R N DAINJA"
Album: KRS-ONE (1995)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZh0fWhfBY

After producing about half of KRS' classic Return Of The Boom Bap in 1993, DJ Premier lent three tracks to Kris for his 1995 self-titled follow-up (also a classic in my book) and they turned into two of the top seven songs on this list.  "Rappaz R N Dainja" is a great example of exactly what hip-hop is supposed to be in my humble opinion.  A dope, raw beat with witty, quotable lyrics and a catchy but not over-the-top hook.  In this case, Primo provides the rawness with a gritty track that uses three different samples to set the background and KRS absolutely destroys the track lyrically.  I still think that 1993-about 1998 or 1999 was when Kris was at his peak lyrically (though he's still dope today don't get me wrong) and this track was a great example of that.  Top it off with the O.C. scratch from "Time's Up" for the chorus and you've got hip-hop greatness.

6) KRS-ONE-"HIGHER LEVEL"
Album: Return Of The Boom Bap (1993)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-vdKiGJM9M

Well, wouldn't you know it?  Another KRS/Premier collaboration.  As much as "Rappaz R N Dainja" is an example of what hip-hop is supposed to be from the aspect of pure rawness, "Higher Level" is also an example of what hip-hop with a message should sound like.  Premier drops a smooth, laid-back beat led by a horn sample from Gene Page's "Blackula" and very, very dope bass line over banging drums.  This sets the perfect backdrop for KRS to wax poetic on topics of corruption in both government and religion.  Whether or not you agree with his message, the fact that Kris is taking the time to discuss his views through music is very powerful.  "Vote for God, don't vote for the devil.  Let me take you to a higher level."  That's powerful.  This song had a big impact on me growing up and the message still shines through today.  This is the exact opposite of the mindless hip-hop music that rules the airwaves today and that's probably one of the reasons why I like it so much.

5) NAS-"NEW YORK STATE OF MIND"
Album: Illmatic (1993)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjj4hk0pV4

As the opening track on Nas' classic opus Illmatic, "New York State of Mind" is great start to a great album (one of my favorites of all-time for sure) and was also many people's first real introduction to Nas as a solo artist.  As the title would suggest, this song is New York at its finest.  Walk through New York bumping this one and you'll see why it's called "New York State of Mind."  DJ Premier combines piano samples from Joe Chamber's "Mind Rain" and background noise from Donald Byrd's "Flight Time" over relentlessly banging drums to form a classic beat that is gritty New York hip-hop at its finest and even throws in a Rakim sample for the hook to add to the New York flavor.  Meanwhile, Nas crafts New York street-bred rhymes with clever lines and a crazy flow that only he could master and that match the beat perfectly.  New York state of mind, indeed.

4) KRS-ONE-"EMCEES ACT LIKE THEY DON'T KNOW"
Album: KRS-ONE (1995)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnI8JEW7Ty4

"Clap your hands everybody.  If you got what it takes.  Cuz I'm KRS and I'm on the mic.  And Premier's on the breaks!"  This classic Kurtis Blow interpolation opens up a truly classic track from KRS' self-titled album. This one is KRS at his I'll rhyme circles around your ass-finest over a simple, but slammin beat from Premier. Premier uses a stand-up bass and piano-sample from Clifford Brown's "Yesterdays" along with some crazy-sounding bells as the basis for this classic beat with the banging drums and scratches in the hook thrown in for good measure as well.  This one was always a favorite of mine mainly just for how raw it is and the fact that it's another one of those undeniable songs.  It just has that Premier bounce to it and one that can move your body and make you think at the same time.  More of hip-hop at its best.

3) ROYCE DA 5'9"-"BOOM"
Album: Rock City 2.0 (2002)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4eAUF6BX0

Though not included on an album until Royce's Rock City 2.0 dropped in 2002, "Boom" was around as a single at least two years before that and it was my introduction to Royce, who is now one of my favorite emcees and what an introduction it was.  This is another one of those undeniable hip-hop songs with all the necessary elements of a classic.  Premier's beat is absolutely sick, led by triumphant-sounding strings sampled from "Forever Is A Long, Long Time" by Marc Hannibal and all the other traditional elements of a Primo track: the slamming drums, bumping bass line and perfectly-placed scratches in the hook.  And Royce's lyrics: in one word, WOW!  The first verse of this song is one of the dopest verses I've ever heard, even still to this day.  "My saliva and spit could split thread into fiber and bits, so trust me I'm as live as it gets."  Amazing.  While the first verse is definitely better than the second, that verse is nothing to sleep on either.  Add it all up and you've got yourselves a hip-hop classic and one of my favorite songs of all-time, in any genre.

2) NAS-"I GAVE YOU POWER"
Album: It Was Written (1996)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwJ8WcZ6RY

After producing three tracks on Nas' classic debut Illmatic, DJ Premier was found behind the boards on just one track for its not-so-classic (though still solid) follow-up It Was Written.  But damn what a track it is.  "I Gave You Power" is a powerful song in every aspect.  Premier provides a dope but somber beat based on a piano sample from Ahmad Jamal's "Theme Bahamas" that does a perfect job of setting the tone for Nas' extended metaphor lyrics in which he rhymes from the perspective of a gun.  Though I don't consider the beat by itself to be as dope as some of the others that are high on this list, the list is not my favorite Non-GangStarr DJ Premier beats, it's my favorite Non-GangStarr DJ Premier-produced SONGS of all-time and that's why this one is so high on the list.  Nas' lyrics, in which he raps from the point of view of a gun, are absolutely brilliant and extremely creative.  While Nas has shown the ability to be creative without going too far with it throughout his long career as an emcee, I still have to say that "I Gave You Power" is the best example of that and one of the best examples of creativity ever displayed in hip-hop period.  No matter how many times I play it (and believe me, I've played this song A LOT in my lifetime), I get chills every single time I hear it and that's not something I can say about a lot of songs.  Enough said.

1) JERU THE DAMAJA-"COME CLEAN"
Album: The Sun Rises In The East (1994)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5dOCSBBEI

I stated before what I believe to be the essential elements of what makes a classic hip-hop song and "Come Clean" is all that and more.  Though Jeru may not be as well-known or remembered as some of the other emcees on this list, he's no joke on the mic and never showed off his skills in a better fashion than he did on this track.  And did I mention the beat is ridiculous?  Premier really showed his skills on this one too, using a sick, sick African drum sample from Shelley Manne's "Infinity" over chopped-up drums from Funk Inc's "Kool Is Back" as the basis for his slamming track.  Not to mention that the Onyx scratch in the hook is absolutely perfect for the song.  This track is hip-hop in its purest form in every way possible.  Dope beat, dope rhymes, dope hook and they go together so perfectly.  I can never get enough of this song, it's probably the only song that feel like I HAVE to listen to on at least a weekly basis.  Quite possibly my favorite hip-hop song of all-time, period.  Hell, it might even be my favorite song of all-time in any genre.  That's why "Come Clean" gets the number one spot on my list.

Thanks everybody for your patience and for your interest.  I hope to do more lists and things of that nature in the future on this blog as well.  Peace and blessings once again.  I'll do a wrap-up post of all 50 songs on this list very soon and then I'll be back with my favorite songs and albums of 2011.  Until then, one love.

No comments:

Post a Comment